Business Writing With Buzz
Are you skeptical about the claims made in adverts? Especially those for creams that claim to lessen the lines around your eyes?
Perhaps honesty is the way to go when you're copywriting sales and marketing materials.
When you consider that people buy from you because they like you and trust you, isn't it better to be honest?
At the very least, it reminds our readers that we are human. It's more credible to read that, yes we sometimes get things wrong but as soon as we know about a problem we do our utmost to fix it.
Here are some suggestions for honest business writing that make you sound human.
Share stories in your tenders, proposals, sales letters and websites. These could be case studies that reveal why you love your work, why you love your industry or why you started your own business.
Show emotion. Perhaps the work you do is, at times, exciting, stressful, worrying, energising, thrilling, joyous, satisfying, or all of these things.
Ask your clients to write a testimonial about how you helped them to overcome a problem (or write it for them). This is a great technique for e-books, blogs and articles as well as tenders and proposals.
Personalise your copywriting. Use words like 'you', 'your', 'I', 'we', 'our'.
Admit things are not perfect. Imagine you are invited to write an article on how your business or firm became so successful. It's great to share positive stories, but what people want to know is how you resolve obstacles. You could mention the time the bank turned down your loan application, or the time your biggest client didn't pay you for 4 months. How did you deal with these situations?
Simply using any one of these techniques will make your marketing and sales materials more credible.
Send This To A Friend! | Printer View
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
- Blowing your own trumpet - how to make it work for your business
- Mx - New Title or Tongue Twister?
- All souped up and ready to go. How one crazy idea is making all the difference
- Did you want ice with that?
- Four Letter Word Not So Innocent After All
- “Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died”
- Lost Your Brand Mojo? Here’s How to Find It Again
- When a typo put the Australian Defence Force under fire
- Are you giving the right message
- Have a great business opportunity but lots of competition standing in your way
- Customer comatose after reading newsletter
- Cut to the chase and keep your customers
- Why not say so
- Spit and polish. Quick ways to write better B2B documents
- Writing Killer Headlines
- Sell is not a four letter word
- Feed your website to keep it alive
- How to win a business award
- 10 ways to a business winning website
- How To Make Your Writing Look Like A Size 8
- How NASA can keep our business writing down to earth
- Rugby rules. Game on in our book
- Winning Business Awards
- Words that Win
- How two quick writing tweaks will get you better results
- Write your way to better business documents in 90 seconds
- Look to the future now it has only just begun - Why your sales materials need to be future focused
- Three little words that will change how you communicate
- Do you make these mistakes? 10 Common English Language Mistakes
- Extremely fast tips for great copywriting
- Making your message loud and clear
- Why it is not all about you but about YOU
- How simple words can make you seem more intelligent
- What not to say in your marketing materials
- Where’s the proof? How to show you're worth it
- You don’t need to be J.K. Rowling but this might help
- Quick, easy ways to get your writing started
- Tricky Words That Trip Us Up
- 5 ways to ramp up your marketing materials and get better results
- 7 ways to avoid report writing mistakes
- Use 'Find' to turn average marketing materials into great ones
- Does Your Spell Checker Let You Down
- When results come first: how to write case studies
- The three truths of business writing that may surprise you
- The Most Costly Typos in the World
- Best ever copywriting tip for any B2B content marketing
- Is LinkedIn killing your business?
- 7 (or it is ‘seven?) top tips for writing with numbers
- Telling Tales – connecting with your readers
- Where to start? Organising your ideas in B2B documents
- Quick fire! How to hit the mark with bullet points
- Keeping it clean: avoiding corporate jargon
- Words not to use
- Emotional content marketing
- How a little thought goes a long way
- Five grammar gremlins
- How a four letter word could win you new business
- Tender writing: 10 top tips for successful tenders
- I Just Couldn't Put It Down
- Ever tried a paraprosdokian?
- What's in it for me?
- EOI ROI RFT - What Does It All Mean?
- Gnats and Nerds: How to Write for Everyone
- Tell Me A Story: How To Colour Your Writing
- How the Big Bad Wolf Can Improve Your Business Writing
- Which word? Picking the right one every time
- Front-end strategies for leveraged solutions in your business communiqués. (Or: learn to cut the cr_p and say what you mean.)
- It's All Greek to Me... International Lessons in Business Communications
- On your bike, mate: Get yourself a hobby and a more effective you
- The Sad Truth about Commas
- What Bananas in Pyjamas Can Teach Us about Marketing
- How to Avoid Global Grammatical Embarrassment
- How well do you know the company you keep?
- The whole truth and nothing but the truth
- Bullet-proof: Tips for better bullet lists
- Rosemary's not-so-secret tips to copywriting great headlines and subject lines
- A quick and easy recipe for editing your marketing materials
- Your new best friend: 3 ways with full stops
- What not to say: why some words are better left unsaid
- 10 Top Tender (and Proposal) Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- How to Trim Your Dangly Bits
- How boring are you?
- Is this the World's Most Attractive Headline?
- How apostrophes can get you arrested
- Get a Great Verbal Brand
- Are typos costing your business?
- Top 10 Tips for writing Tenders and Proposals
- Get over it! How to overcome Writer's Block
- Let's get active!
- August 2015 (4)
- July 2015 (1)
- June 2015 (2)
- May 2015 (1)
- April 2015 (2)
- March 2015 (3)
- February 2015 (2)
- January 2015 (3)
- November 2014 (2)
- October 2014 (1)
- September 2014 (2)
- August 2014 (2)
- July 2014 (1)
- May 2014 (2)
- April 2014 (1)
- March 2014 (4)
- February 2014 (4)
- November 2013 (1)
- October 2013 (1)
- September 2013 (1)
- August 2013 (2)
- July 2013 (2)
- May 2013 (2)
- April 2013 (1)
- March 2013 (2)
- December 2012 (2)
- September 2012 (1)
- August 2012 (1)
- July 2012 (1)
- June 2012 (1)
- May 2012 (3)
- March 2012 (1)
- February 2012 (2)
- November 2011 (1)
- June 2011 (1)
- March 2011 (2)
- February 2011 (1)
- September 2010 (2)
- August 2010 (1)
- July 2010 (1)
- May 2010 (3)
- April 2010 (1)
- March 2010 (1)
- November 2009 (3)
- October 2009 (1)
- September 2009 (1)
- August 2009 (1)
- June 2009 (1)
- May 2009 (1)
- January 2009 (2)
- November 2008 (1)
- October 2008 (1)
- August 2008 (2)